, , , ,

It kind of snuck up on me, but I’m running a half marathon tomorrow!  The Martian Half Marathon to be exact, right here in Dearborn.

I signed up for this race intending it to be my last long training run before tapering for the Nike Women’s Half Marathon.  In the past couple of weeks I’ve thought about trying for a PR, but I haven’t tapered and I’d rather just get in a solid long run without blowing up in mile 8.

There’s just one teeny tiny problem.

The course is currently flooded.

Yeah.  While everyone east of us has been enjoying beautiful summer-like temperatures, it has been cold and rainy here.  It seems winter has not quite finished with us.  We got a downpour this morning, and a good portion of the Martian course runs through a park that also happens to be a flood plane.  It was designed to flood to keep rising waters out of more populated areas and does so with some frequency.  But that doesn’t mean I want to run through standing water.

The race organizers have assured us that if the park doesn’t dry out by Saturday (which it might do since there’s no rain on tomorrow’s forecast), they’ll reroute the course.  And the 5K/10K courses won’t be affected.

Whether the course is rerouted or not, the weather looks kind of crappy for Saturday.

Not the nicest forecast I've seen before a race.

Not the nicest forecast I’ve seen before a race.  SNOW???

And here’s another reason why I am still thinking about going for a PR attempt.  This is my last long run before the race in DC.  I REALLY want to PR at that race, and with a lot of guts and lot of luck, I think maybe I can do it.  But I’m not experiencing the same spring that DC and other points east of here seem to be experiencing.  I’m afraid I’ll get to race day in DC and it will be 70 degrees (or warmer) and I’ll have done ALL of my training in temperatures closer to 30 and 40 degrees.  The heat I won’t be acclimated for would probably be enough to kill any hopes of a PR.

So attempting a PR on a cooler day on a course I know is tempting.  Probably I’ll just try to run a solid training run.  It’d be the smart thing to do.  But I’m not always smart…

In the mean time, I’m volunteering at the expo tonight after work and hoping the forecast changes for Saturday.